Friday, February 17, 2012

The Beginning


And so I begin my blog. At the moment, I'm pretty sure the only people I'll get to read this are my husband and my dogs (okay, the dogs aren't exactly people, and they can't exactly read, but go with me on this one). But I'm hoping that, after a while, some people might have some interest in what I have to say.


So that begs the question: what exactly is it that I have to say? Or, perhaps, why should anyone other than my husband care?

The simple answer is that I'm trying to get published (not for the first time). And for other aspiring authors out there, the information I get along the way might be of use. Especially if I manage to succeed this time.

To tell you a little about me, I pretty much exclusively write YA at this point. When I was younger, I always saw myself as writing for an adult audience. But then when I actually got to be an adult, I realized I'd actually been writing something closer to YA anyway, and just didn't know it. Which, I guess, makes sense, since I was a young adult when I wrote my first novel. I've written three more since, all of them fantasy.

I found A Wrinkle in Time in a closet at my grandparents' house in second grade, and ever since then, it's been all about fantasy for me. People kept telling me that only kids like fantasy, and eventually I'd grow out of it. Well, since I know plenty of adults that will love fantasy until their respective dying days, I'm pretty sure my naysayers are just whacked. Oh, and then there's this one: "Why don't you try to write a real book?" Yes, someone actually said that to me. More than once, actually. And was beside herself when I got upset. As if it's a-okay to tell me one of my greatest passions, the thing to which I've decided to devote my professional life, isn't even real.

But I'm one of those people who has wanted to be a published author since I was about six years old. My first two books were, admittedly, not very good. If I ever have the patience to completely rewrite them, there's potential for awesomeness (in my ever so humble opinion). But as they currently are, I actually think they kind of suck. I absolutely love my third book, and I'm sure there will be more about that later.

Then there's my fourth book. The best thing I've ever written. My pride and joy. What I'm hoping will finally be the one to land me things like an agent and a publisher. I'll chronicle the ups and downs of my journey in this blog.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment